Friday, November 16, 2012

Science: Investigating Soils

This week in Science we are learning all about soil.  We are learning the different layers of soil and then we will compare the soils sand, silt, and clay.  I used our textbook to help me as I made these two activities for my class to complete.

Soil Horizons

Soils form in layers.  It is a mixture of many different things.  Soil is made up of water, air, humus, and tiny pieces of rock.  This worksheet helps students learn and visualize the 3 layers of soil.  They are topsoil. subsoil, and bedrock.  After they define these, they will draw to show what is contained in each layer.








Investigate Soils Lab Activity

Materials needed:  lab sheet, plates, sand, soil, clay, and hand lens

Students will observe sand, silt, and clay.  They will describe how each soil looks and how they feel.  Then they will use a hand lens or magnifying glass and draw the different sizes of grains on their lab sheet.




This activity helps the students to be able to compare and contrast these three soils.

They loved being scientists!!



2 comments:

  1. I love this! Hands on Teaching is so much more stimulating to the brain. Let's have fun as we learn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I nominated you for the Liebster Award. Check out my blog post to see more about it!

    Dawn
    Adventures in First with Mrs. Key

    ReplyDelete